Scientific Name: Camponotus pennsylvanicus
• Workers average size is about 6mm long.
• Queens can grow up to 12mm long.
• Blackish colour most common but can also be black and red.
• It is normal to see swarms appear during Spring time.
• Carpenter ants colonies can live up to 6 years.
• They prefer moist wood to nest (e.g. water leakage near wood)
• They excavate galleries in wood with a smooth appearance.
• Sometimes they hollow out sections of trees.
• Even though they are called carpenter ants they do not eat wood.
• They cannot sting.