Brown Rat / Norway Rat
Scientific Name: Rattus norvegicus
• This species can grow up to 40cm in length, with a tail shorter than the head and body.
• They weight 350 – 500g.
• They are known for the small ears and thick bodies.
• Just like the black rat the brown rat’s gestation takes about 3 weeks.
• It takes from 2 – 3 months from birth to sexual maturity.
• The brown rats eat twice as much and drink 4 times more what the average black rat does.
• Not really good climbers, usually ground living and burrowing.
• Their preferred food is cereals.