Fact sheet on Argentine Ants
Scientific Name: Linepithima humile
• This species of workers are about 1.6mm long on average.
• They are known to be light or dark brown.
• You will not see them swarm as in other species.
• And most importantly they are not aggressive and do not sting humans.
Information on Lifecycle:
• Worker ants are seen to be produced in the Spring-time in Australia, and will increase their population until around Autumn.
• Winged ants, (reproductive Kings and Queens), they mature within just 3 months and start reproducing right after.
• It is rare to see swarming since the Argentine ants mate in their nest.
• Argentine ants drive out other ant species from an area.
• Nests are not easy to track because these ants can travel a long way to look for food.
• They prefer sweet foods but will also eat live and dead insects, meats, cereals and damaged fruit.